Thank you so much for attending the meeting yesterday. I hope I was able to answer any questions you may have had, and to shed a little light on what to expect this season.
Things that were discussed:
· For most students, this is the first time running long distance. Please start out slowly and know that building aerobic endurance takes time. We will be working on that along with anaerobic training; however, it is best to get additional distance running in on non-practice days.
· To prevent the possibility of shin splints, it is best to have real running shoes for practice and meets.
· Make sure athletes bring a water bottle with them to practice.
· Our runs will be on the Silver Lakes trails mostly, and will be no longer than 3 miles…usually 2 miles.
· Most Cross Country meets are 2 miles…give or take…each school varies.
· We will drive busses to the meets and athletes must ride the bus, however, parents make take their child home with them from the meet. (Please inform me when you leave that you are taking your son or daughter with you.
· There are 7 meets plus the championship meet. Please check the calendar for dates, times, locations and directions. (Go on web page to athletics—under campus life, then calendar or directions of opponents)
· St. Martin’s will host a meet at Blackburn Park Wednesday August 31. Girls will run at 4:30, boys at 5:00. Please, please volunteer to help out by emailing me as soon as possible.
· Beth Hawks (Charlotte Spaeth’s mom) has graciously volunteered to be the team parent this season. Thank you so much! She will be sending an email out next week with details on snack schedule for each meet. Please be mindful of your children running in this heat, and bring water along with a Gatorade type of drink. The kids need to be hydrated.
· On the calendar you will notice 3 Thursday practices consisting of only 30 minutes …. I will put the runners in three groups, they will only need to attend one of these practices, and we will work strictly on speed work. I will assign which day. if you have a preference have your child let me know on Monday of next week.
· Uniforms will be given out Wednesday August 24.
· We will have our practice on Monday August 29 at Blackburn Park so the athletes can run the course to become familiar for our Wednesday meet. You are welcome to pick your child up there if you prefer. Please be there no later than 4:50….otherwise pick up at school.
· I would like to welcome Mr. John McConnell to our coaching team. He will be a huge asset to our group of athletes.
· PICK UP- pick up will need to be in front of Early Childhood office. Please plan on 5:00 pm pick-up.
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to email or call me. This is going to be a great season, and I am sure your child will have a wonderful and challenging experience.
The cross country team ended their season on a fantastic note yesterday at Chastain Park, with excellent times from everyone.
Ryan Kelly power-housed his way to 5th place for the boys, while Megan Wilson came in an amazing 11th place for the girls.
Not far behind her was Caroline Smith and Charlotte Spaeth.
Great running times by Jon Walsh, Dillon Joiner, Harrison Ray and Dazz Riggins allowed the boys to place 6th overall in the MAAC Championship.
Runners, you have all made great strides this season and have also made St. Martin’s proud! CONGRATULATIONS!!
These are directions for all the schools SMES plays against. Please scroll down to find correct school.
This map may or may not be that helpful. For full directions see the website/link above.
Directions are found in a link in this document. A map of the course is also included.
Videos and Podcasts
Team Web Pages